For GPs in Metro (Perth North and Perth South)
- How do I refer a patient to PORTS?
- What sort of information will I need to provide about the patient?
- Why should I register for PORTS dashboard?
- How do I register for PORTS dashboard?
- I need to enter an email address for my account. What email addresses can I use?
- I don’t want to use my email address or I don’t have one. Can I refer a patient without one?
- What sort of patient updates would I receive if I registered for PORTS dashboard?
- How would I receive updates about a patient if I’m not registered or not using email?
- How can I refer to the ORS face-to-face Brief Intervention Service (ORSBIS) in Metro Perth?
How do I refer a patient to PORTS?
There are several ways to refer a patient to PORTS:
- Online via PORTS Portal – log in or register here
- Printing a referral from the PORTS website, completing and faxing it to 02 9475 0249
- Downloading a referral form from your practice software and faxing it to 02 9475 0249
- Calling PORTS on 1800 176 787 (1800 1 PORTS).
We are working on additional referral options for the future.
What sort of information will I need to provide about the patient?
You will need to provide the following information about the patient:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Contact details, including address, phone number and email address
- Preferred contact time
- Whether patient has a Mental Health Care Plan
- K10 Plus score (if available).
You also need to confirm that the patient has provided consent for referral and is financially disadvantaged.
You will also need to provide your contact details as the referring GP and the reason for referral.
Why should I register for PORTS dashboard?
Registering for PORTS dashboard will allow you to access up-to-date information on your patients’ progress with PORTS, as well as download their assessment and post-treatment reports. Using the PORTS dashboard is also an easy way to refer new patients to PORTS.
How do I register for PORTS dashboard?
Alternatively, we can set you up over the phone. You can call us on 1800 176 787 (1800 1 PORTS).
I need to enter an email address for my account. What email addresses can I use?
Part of our information security framework and a requirement of the Privacy Act is that each referrer has a unique identifier. For this reason, we request that referring GPs use an individual email address and do not use a shared email address (for example, a practice email address). We recommend using an individual work or business email address.
I don’t want to use my email address or I don’t have one. Can I refer a patient without one?
If you don’t have an email address or don’t want to use your email address but would still like to use PORTS dashboard, please contact us and we can set up a PORTS dashboard account for you.
Alternatively, you are welcome to refer patients via fax or phone without registering for PORTS dashboard. However, without a PORTS dashboard account you won’t be able to access your patients’ updates electronically.
What sort of patient updates would I receive if I registered for PORTS dashboard?
Once you have registered for PORTS dashboard and referred a patient to PORTS, we send you an email at key milestones for your patient. These milestones include the following:
- If we have been successful in contacting the patient and whether the patient has chosen to start treatment with PORTS or been referred to another service
- When an Assessment Report or Post-Treatment Report is available on PORTS dashboard.
Please note that we will not send a patient’s full name via email, or sufficient information for a third party to identify them. Our emails do include the patient’s first name, and we encourage you to log in to PORTS dashboard to access additional information about your patient.
How would I receive updates about a patient if I’m not registered or not using email?
We can send patient reports and notify you of the outcome of your referrals by mail or fax. However, we do encourage you to let us provide you with a login for PORTS dashboard to enable you to access additional information about your patients’ progress easily and efficiently.
How can I refer to the ORS face-to-face Brief Intervention Service (ORSBIS) in Metro Perth?
From 1st April 2018, all referrals for the ORSBIS service must be received through PORTS. To learn more about how to refer to PORTS, click HERE.
After receiving your referral, your patient will be assessed through the standard PORTS assessment process. For more information, see the “What to Expect” section of our website HERE, or contact us for more information. If needed, ORS Psychology can be contacted on 1800 000 323.
Based on the assessment and the preferences of you and your patient, your patient can be referred directly to ORSBIS on the same day the assessment feedback is completed. PORTS will update you on the outcome of all referrals, including referrals to ORSBIS.